It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Baseball Games forums! This is a community for collectors and researchers of both antique and modern tabletop baseball games.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately (PM) with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, click right here to join our community today!

Post subject: Goodyear Baseball Game
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:42 pm 
Registered users

Hi every one
I got this from the same person I got the Pennant BB Game.

Good Year Baseball Game - 1950

There's no apparent maker since the supplier of the games is Good Year.
What's kind of cool about this game are the complements - this is what I would call a "dealer packet"
- to convince the dealer to participate in the promotion.

The "key" to the promotion is the PC's that the dealer purchases to send out as a promotional mailer.
So, when little "Johnny" sees the PC and you get a baseball game? "Daddy, daddy... I want this game
and it's FREE!!!!! Just take the car in for a no charge inspection, and I get the game FREE!!!! Can we,
can we, can we....paleeeeeeeze!"
So, off they go and little Johnny's got a game - wow!

I'll just list the items - the game and promotional stuff - it comes with a heavy stock poster -
but it's for the dealer to get excited about the promotion and not one for customers to see -
the dealer can get them - but no example is in the packet - too bad - the BB related one
would've been cool to have.

The game:

The PC to the customer:

Folded up promotional poster to the dealer:

PC dealer sends to GY to participate in the program and order stuff - like the game which was 8 bucks per 100 games.

A small promotional leaflet to entice customers to come in:

The mechanism of the game is clever - when you slide the ball over to a specific pitch and then back to
the "upper right" - where it says "Baseball" - you get an outcome in the middle - if you choose the same pitch
"twice" - the outcome will change.

If a kid screws with the wheels that are interconnected, he might just ruin the game and beg dad to go for
another inspection!

That's about it - really not much to add - the item is on the forum "list" - but nothing to add since Good Year
didn't let us know who the printer of the game was?

Post subject: Re: Goodyear Baseball Game
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 pm 
Registered users

Mike, another nice one there. Cool that if you choose the same pitch "twice" - the outcome will change.

Are you planning on displaying all of the promotional items along with the game?

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 pm 
Registered users

Thanx Dave - I doubt it due to space issues.
There's just so much display footage and I'm sure some of my items will be in competition for air time.

When I get to the beginning of the display "era" and thus - finish of the actual renovation, I'll post pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Mike, exceptional acquisition! Nifty little game for starters, but then that extensive
dealer promo material along with it -- very nice!
We've got the Goodyear game here -- somewhere -- as well as the extremely similar
Highball! game that was used as a promo for PM Whiskey (they're probably both together
in the recesses of the vault, but Win just returned empty-handed... we jeer at people
who lose the rules to games, but we can misplace not just one but two games entirely...)
:oops:
You got your game and the accompanying material from a good and knowledgeable dealer
with whom we've done business before, but we're not sure how can he precisely date it to 1950.
Not saying for a minute that he's wrong, but we don't find a date printed on either Goodyear
Baseball
nor on Highball! nor on any of the Goodyear promotional literature. Late 1940s
to early 1960s has been as good a guess as we've been able to make.
:shrug1:
The different versions of the game promoting completely different companies puts us in mind of
Television Baseball, best known as a promo for Beacon Sales, but which we recall you having
examples of advertising Kendall Polly Gas and King Blended Whiskey, and which has also been seen
promoting Hillerich & Bradsby, Calumet Iron, and the drug Profenil. Versatile!

http://baseballgames.freeforums.org/