It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Baseball Games forums! This is a community for collectors and researchers of both antique and modern tabletop baseball games.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately (PM) with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, click right here to join our community today!

Post subject: 1989-1990 World Series Baseball
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:15 pm 
Registered users

Butch wanted me to introduce myself some time ago, but one thing led to another and I never got around to it.
My name is Carlos Bauer, and I invented World Series Baseball Board Game back in the 1980s. Back then
it was a game played with three ten-sided dice, or a random number generated scientific calculator (which is
what I used). I marketed the game with a friend of mine, in 1989 and 1990. See 1989 ad published in
Street & Smith (attached).

Sales were not great, but that wasn't the reason I invented the game. What I wanted to do was be able to rate
any player in any league, and simply. I was a friend of Jack Kavanagh (the inventor of Extra Innings), and, at first,
I tried to get Jack to convert EI to ten-sided dice, but Jack had moved on to writing historical baseball books, and
so he told me that I should do it. Why I wanted a baseball board game like Jack's was because I wanted to play games
with the players from the PCL of my youth, which none of they "big guys" would let you do. EI would, but truth be told,
I was never good at subtracting or adding sixes!

So I came up with World Series Baseball, and a friend and I marketed the game for two years. I took a slightly
different take than Jack had, but it remained close in spirit. (Instead of ERA, I used a modified form of OBA and,
before it had a name, WHIP.) What I chose to do was make a full-featured game that took only about a half-hour
to play.

I have been playing the game since then, and have add a number of modifications. I have greatly improved several
aspects of the game, especially fielding. The original game used only rosters. Over the years, I have come to used
a combination of player cards and team fielding charts with all the players on that.

My plan is to release the game in a couple of years, once I have rated every major league player and every ballpark
from 1900 to the present. (The reason I will not release it now is because I'm play testing the game using the 1957
NL season, and will not release the game until I'm sure it is statistically accurate over the course of a season.
I figure that will take me two years to complete. I believe game companies never have done enough game testing.
They make the game, have some tester play a few games, and then toss it out on the market.)

Additionally, I will release cards for ten season, of which I have not decided any seasons other than 1957. Input on
what seasons I should make available will be greatly appreciated. I have made the rating system just a matter of
inputting easily accessible data (e.g., Baseball Reference) into Excel spread sheets for batters, for pitcher, for fielders,
for ball parks. What come out on the other side are the final ratings. (I always hated it when a designer said, "User
your own judgement" on some obscure third baseman from 1907, so I have come with the formulas so preclude that.)
I will include the templates for the player cards and team fielding card.

My plan is to offer it to the gaming community...for the staggering price of $0, or slightly less than they charge for
Ballpark Baseball (snark).

Carlos Bauer

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 1989-1990 World Series Baseball
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Carlos, thanks for your post! Nice to see you here -- our apologies for not responding promptly
to your off-list e-mail, but we'll reply here and say thanks, again, for that more in-depth history of the
development of World Series Baseball -- and also for the scan of the magazine ad. We'll add that to
the "Baseball Games Advertisements" page [ http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/BbAdverts.htm ]
at our main website when next we update that.

Best of luck and success with the reissue of World Series Baseball! By the way, we're moving
your post from the main antique/collectible games forum to our Baseball Sims Forum
[ baseball-sims-forum-f4.html ], which we think is a better fit,
but we're leaving the topic linked in the main forum, so there'll be twice as many chances for views!

http://baseballgames.freeforums.org/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:58 pm 
Registered users

Hi Carlos,
Congratulations on your success and best of luck with your continued World Series Baseball effort!
I thought your name sounded familiar ... so I went back into this forum's archives and saw that I had
posted your name within a thread concerning homebrew baseball games located here:
http://baseballgames.freeforums.org/your-homebrew-dice-baseball-game-t357.html

You were able to nicely accomplish something on my wish list ... enhancements to the Charles Einstein
Dice Baseball game. I recently re-discovered your downloads for the UPDATED BASEBALL DICE 2 GAME
and will give them a further look when time permits.

I also played Jack Kavanagh's Extra Innings game. I liked it a lot, but like yourself, was challenged
with adding/subtracting sixes.
:shrug1:
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:22 pm 
Registered users

Thanks for the nice words about Charles Einstein's Dice Baseball update.

As to World Series Baseball, it will have a new title, but will be a similar game, where everything
is keyed off the pitcher card when each game is set up. I.e., the raw pitcher's numbers are modified
by ballpark ratings, seasonal ratings-- and, if normalized to play teams from different seasons, then
modified by those numbers. First, pitcher are rated against the averages for the season in which
they pitched in regards to Hits allowed, walks, strike outs and home runs. Those numbers are
modified by the ballpark and the month in which the game is played. Normalization is then
taken into consideration.

Pitchers, in the actual game play, modify the batters cards which have their raw averages for that season
in hits, walks and strike outs. Say Batter A has a hit range of 001 through 268 for hits, then say the pitcher
has a -38 (minus 38) the new rating for the batter would be when facing that pitcher in that park during
that month 001 through 230 (268 minus 38). And so on for walks and strike outs.

The new age is similar WSBB, but has been changed in regards to ballparks (they are rated exactly like
pitchers), and the fielding is much improved and is quicker in determining the outcome. Errors and other
miscues come right from the team fielding chart.

The ratings can be generated for any league by just entering basic data into a spreadsheet for batters,
for pitchers, for fielders and for ballparks. The ratings come out on the other side and can be printed out.
Cards can be made by entering the final ratings on the templates for the cards. So, if you want to play
a minor season, a Japanese season, or a Negro leagues season, all you have to do is enter the data,
fill out the cards, and you're all set.

(I always hated when a designer said on rating a third string shortstop in 1907: "You your own judgement."
I have set it up that you get ratings for everybody automatically.)

Samples of the three types of cards are below. The modified numbers I use for the game day pitchers
are written in pencil on a 4x6 blank index card and attached to the right side fielding chart where the
blank area is located on the sample.

There are nine outcome charts, but only three are used with any frequency at all. The others are used
for manager options like hit and run, playing in field in, unusual plays, stolen bases for league other than
the majors, etc. Outs, for instance, are all on one chart. (By the way, I went through the play-by-plays
of every World Series game from 1903 through 1988 to determine how outs were made on every ball
put into play: 6-3, pop to short, line drive to third, fly to center, etc. I also did that for every DP possibility
for every infielder, pitcher and catcher, and rounded off to the closest 5%.)

As an activator, I use Ball Roller so I can generate first and second (and third rolls when necessary)
with one click. Ten-sided dice can also be used. Or a random number generating calculator. Or even
an Excel spreadsheet.

In short, I wanted a game that was easy to set up. fast to play (around 30 minutes), and was full featured
(i.e., even calculated Passed Balls, Wild Pitches, and even Balks). So, in playing this game myself since
the late 1980s, I think I have come pretty close to what I envisioned my game could be.

Carlos

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.