It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to the Baseball Games forums! This is a community for collectors and researchers of both antique and modern tabletop baseball games.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately (PM) with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, click right here to join our community today!

Post subject: Archive - Yahoo forum posts, 2010 April
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

BASEBALLGAMES FORUM 2010 April, Messages 6042 - 6137
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Message #6042
Thu Apr 1, 2010 2:50 am
"butch7999" <Butch7999(at)aol.com>
Re: Home Run -- With Bases Loaded

Hello again, LJ -- thanks very much once more for the photos you sent us off-list! It's great to have confirmation
on this terribly obscure game. With your permission, we'll post a couple of the pics you sent, in our Photos section
a little later on.

To answer a couple of your actual questions, it doesn't look, from your photos of the game, that it's missing
anything at all, certainly not missing anything essential for play. The board and spinner are beautifully intact,
the directions for play are printed right on the gameboard, and the little "player cards" are really just an
optional thing for making a line-up. Presumably there would have been 18 of those with the game --
nine a side, of course -- when it was new. We can't tell from the photos exactly how many of those you've got.

The Johnny Evers connection remains a mystery, because, just as you say, there's no indication anywhere
on the game box or board that Evers in any way endorsed the game or was in any way linked to it at all.
The batter illustrated on the box lid looks nothing whatsoever like Evers -- a lefty hitter no less, unlike the
righty batter shown -- so there's not even a case of mistaken identity to be ascribed to it. We could squint
and maybe see a vague facial resemblance to Lou Gehrig, but that's probably just us needing new bifocals,
and anyway, he too was a lefthanded hitter. So there's no player endorsement of any kind we see there.
Unless we find some old magazine or newspaper advertisement for the game that featured Evers, we'll
just have to chalk that up to another unvetted and erroneous entry having slipped into that old game catalog.

One further wonderful thing about the game we must mention -- this is really of interest only to us here in
the front office -- is that it turns out the game was made by a company in Buffalo. That's our home town,
and Buffalo baseball memorabilia is a particular interest of ours. Just had to say.

B, K, & W
Baseball Games
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baseballgames/

--- "butch7999" wrote:
<< Hi ljan, thanks for writing back! You've confirmed a little of the very little we already sort of knew
about the game, and, with some pictorial help from you, perhaps we can provide you with some additional
information.
*Home Run - with Bases Loaded* is known to us mainly as an single-line entry in a 1990s catalogue of games.
Since that time, we've seen not a single other reference to it, let alone any evidence of its actual existence,
leading us to consider the catalogue listing may have been grossly in error and to regard the game as apocryphal.
The subtitle listed was "Johnny Evers Baseball Game," so if there's no reference to Evers on the game box or
board, this is indeed a bit of a mystery -- one that an actual look at the game might help clear up....
>>

To reply to a message or post a new message
at the Baseballgames forum/e-list, visit
on the web and click on "Post" in the lefthand
menu, or simply send your e-mail to
baseballgames(at)yahoogroups.com

Message #6043 Thu Apr 1, 2010 2:25 am
Re: F J Raff 1948 Autograph Baseball Game

Hi Mark, thanks for the bizarre story -- nope, never heard that one before! Good thing Pollack wasn't
pals with the McLoughlin Brothers, or he might have planked his studio floor with Zimmer's gameboards!

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "markwcooper" wrote:
> ... Did I ever tell you the story how I was contacted years ago by the Jackson Pollack museum in Long Isalnd.
> They wanted information on autograph baseball. Apparently, Jackson Pollack's brother was friends with
> the manufacturer of the game. The manufacturer had an excess supply of the game and sent them to Jackson
> Pollack who used hundred of the games as floor boards for one of his studios. They asked me for information
> on the game,I provided it and sent them a copy of the game.They then placed it on the wall outside the studio
> where the autograph baseball floor still resides and acknowledged me for the pertinent information.
> I may have images of the studio,if so I will send it. Great story huh!!
>
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Message #6044 Thu Apr 1, 2010 5:57 pm
Re: Negamco Baseball & BLM

And indeed we *are* mistaken again! Mike Boling, longtime valued contibutor to this Forum, writes us off-list
-- so as not to publicly embarrass us by pointing out yet another error on our part -- that "Big League gameco
hasn't made anything 'new' for anything for some time now. What they sell on eBay is left over stock. A few
individuals have made seasons for BLM, but there is no game company still at it."

S'all right, Mike, correct away! We've never claimed to be experts, especially on anything post-1970 (and,
sadly, that's not limited to tabletop baseball!). But thanks for your consideration.

We were under the vague impression, after several correspondences both on- and off-list in the past few years
here, with BigLeagueCo majordomo Keith Henricksen and BLM card updater Kevin Hennessy, that new editions
of BLM were still being cranked out, in addition to the availability of "new" old-stock back-inventory. Better,
though, to have the correct information out there than to look like we know what the heck we're talking about!

We haven't looked at a BigLeagueCo game auction on eBay in a while, so maybe Kevin or Keith or any one of
the rest of you guys can let us know what the most recent MLB season sets are that are available for BLM and
the Negamco game, and whether any new sets are in the works, made independently or as a BigLeagueCo
product.

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "butch7999" wrote:
<< Thanks Mike, we stand corrected -- we were probably thinking of *Big League Manager,* like the Negamco
game also made by BigLeagueCo and which does have newer seasons available. Negamco *Major League Baseball*
does offer most seasons from 1959 through about 1984, if we're not mistaken again, which isn't all that unlikely....
>>

Message #6045 Fri Apr 2, 2010 12:31 am
"Rickert" <rickert46015(at)yahoo.com> rickert46015
Time Travel Baseball tales

While I am waiting for my Time Travel Baseball game to arrive (I just ordered it), I was wondering if anybody
would care to share any experiences with the game? I am looking for stories about how people set up leagues
or even just a memorable single game played. It will get me through the weekend. I am really looking forward
to playing this game.
Thanks
Rick T.

Message #6046 Fri Apr 2, 2010 2:09 pm
"Sean" <sweda(at)ibl.org> seansweda
2010 IBL Card Set officially released

The cards are now considered final, you can get them here:
http://www.ibl.org/~sweda/iblgame/download/

Updated charts will be available sometime over the weekend. Please check the blog for the latest updates,
including errata: http://www.ibl.org/~sweda

IBL ANNOUNCEMENT
There are currently two team ownership openings in the IBL. The reason we give the game away for free
is to help us find new owners, so if you like our game please consider joining the IBL. If you don't have the time
to run a team full-time there are also opportunities for co-ownership and playing games as an associate.

Message #6047 Sat Apr 3, 2010 9:18 am
"John Nocero" <jnonyy(at)yahoo.com> jnonyy
Re: 2010 IBL Card Set officially released

good morning sean,
I could not download the cards - could not establish connection to server.

as well, would love to join the IBL. how do I get involved.
-JRN

--- "Sean" wrote:
> The cards are now considered final, you can get them here:
> http://www.ibl.org/~sweda/iblgame/download/ ....
> IBL ANNOUNCEMENT
> There are currently two team ownership openings in the IBL.... if you like our game please consider
> joining the IBL. If you don't have the time to run a team full-time there are also opportunities for
> co-ownership and playing games as an associate.
>

Message #6048 Sun Apr 4, 2010 1:08 am
Baseballgames update, April 2010

Hiya fellers! Spring has sprung -- with a lovely vengeance, in fact, here around the home office near Buffalo,
where the sunshine blazed away and the mercury neared 80 this weekend -- so it's time for a little clean-up and
fresh paint on the front page of the Forum and another installment of the monthly state-of-the-website address.

Our thanks, first, to everybody who kept the ball rolling in the Forum/e-list, following up a very busy February
with a frenetically busy March, producing the second-largest one-month amount of traffic in the site's six years
on-line! Good questions, good topics, good discussion. We hope that wasn't due solely to the February-March
cover-boy, that baby-boomer favorite *Baseball Card Game* (Ed-U-Cards, 1957) -- because that's going back
into the game cabinet now, and in its place on the front page we have a 1947 rarity, *Gem Play Ball! Baseball
Game
,* a tough promo piece from Gem Leather Goods. It's a recent acquisition of ours in the front office
which we already crowed about a couple of weeks ago, so we won't repeat ourselves here. Pretty little thing,
though, ain't it?

Instead, we'll get straight to welcoming the newest members of the group -- let's all say hello to these folks
who signed on in March: usahiker, pastorfrady, crwkmw, nwo4mylife, jimwoods1962, josh.nelson7, royhobbs_9_rf,
royhellmig, roy48c, steelerbob2001, jimch11, aka21208, jkoeker1, porta_zoo, wader40, ljan1986, nickalex1972,
jessieleero, memawofangels, mappeeme, k3hanley, cazyhorse69r, and prsr59. We're glad to have all of you
on board here! If you haven't yet done so, please make sure you're familiar with our Forum Policy
[ http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/Forumpolicy.htm ] before you post to the Forum/e-list --
then take some time to browse our searchable Message archives, Files, Links, and Photo galleries, as well as
the many features at our main website [ http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/ ]. Stick around, introduce
yourselves, let us know how you found us (seriously -- that's useful info for us), and don't hesitate to chime in
with any questions, comments, or news that you might have.

We'll add again, as always, our frequent but ever relevant advisory, to both newcomers and veteran members
of the group -- please do make sure your Yahoo membership has you registered/subscribed with a currently
active e-mail address. We do occasionally check for and eliminate memberships with an inert or disconnected
e-mail address -- and for some reason, that's the status of a number of folks who've joined in just the last few
months. If you're signed in that way, we have to assume you're no longer really on board, and, regrettably,
your membership will soon be deleted. So please do keep your status active, fellers -- just click on that
"Edit Membership" link above the Forum title if you're no longer using the e-mail address you registered
when you joined, or if you need to update anything else about your membership.

Following up on our reports among the March messages (including our March Update post) of Yahoo Groups
technical troubles, we're relieved to say that the glitch that caused posting of your messages to be delayed
by hours or days (and sometimes to disappear forever) seems to have been rectified -- at least for now,
at least for this Forum. Many another Yahoo Group continues to experience a wide range of dreadful technical
problems, with no response from Yahoo forthcoming. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that we don't get hit
with another of these glitches anytime soon.

Another reminder here that we've paid fresh attention to the Calendar feature of the Forum, which can be
accessed from the main menu on the left-hand side of the Forum's front page. Upcoming shows that may
feature vintage tabletop baseball games and other memorabilia for sale, in addition to their main focus on
sports cards, are listed there. If any of you fellers attend any of those shows, be sure to file an informal
report here to let everyone else know what was or wasn't available! And certainly, if you do indeed obtain
some vintage game there -- or anywhere, for that matter -- let us know about what you've added to your
collection. We, and we expect most everyone on board, would be very pleased to see more posts and pics
along those lines -- so c'mon, fellers, if you've got something old or rare to show off, tell us, and send your
photos to us *off-list* at Butch7999(at)aol.com so we can post 'em in the "Wha'd Ya Get?" album of our
Photos section. We'd also like to be able to post some more pics of "Your Tabletop Leagues" in action, too,
so c'mon guys, don't be camera-shy!

Keep up the chatter, boys!
Butch, Kerm, & Win
Baseball Games
http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/

Message #6049 Fri Apr 9, 2010 8:52 am
"schlabin" <schlabin(at)yahoo.com>
Scoreboard Baseball is here!

Scoreboard Baseball is a full stat quick play baseball game that can be played in around 10-12 minutes
from out of the box to stat completion. There are no lineups to decide upon and no score sheets to fill out
yet the game unfolds inning by inning with a key player and action being revealed along the way.

By the end of the game you will have been able to track these stats:

Pitchers: W, L, SV, IP, H, R, ER, K, BB

Hitters: H, 2B, 3B, HR, SB, RBI

You can read more about the game here:
http://insidesportsgames.org/scoreboard_baseball.htm

Message #6050 Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:58 pm
"kimcardcoll56" <kimcardcoll56(at)yahoo.com>
Can someone help me with a vintage game?

I just recently acquired a wall game called "Sportcraft" Rocket Darts on one side and Rocket Darts Baseball
on the other. I cannot seem to find anything like this on the internet for comparison. Looking for as much
information as you can. The gentleman who gave it to me said he played it in his basement when he was little
and it was still hanging there when I got it. He is 62. He's guessing its from the 50's sometime. The colors are
blue/red/green/yellow/white/black. Thanks!
Kim

Message #6051 Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm
"darrylw05819" <darrylw05819(at)yahoo.com>
Big League Baseball by Sycamore Games

Hi everyone,
I've been reading a book entitled Teaching Statistics Using Baseball by Jim Albert. In the book the author
discusses a game he says was made in the 1960s called Big League Baseball published by Sycamore Games
of Lima Ohio. Is anyone out there familiar with this game or happen to own it?
Darryl Whitcomb

Message #6052 Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm
Re: Can someone help me with a vintage game?

Hiya Kim, welcome to the group and thanks for your question! There's not an awful lot we can tell you about
*Rocket Darts,* but at least we do know the game, so we must be one small step ahead of everybody else
on the internet...

Just to make sure we're in fact talking about the same game, yours is about 18.5" square, correct?, made of
some sort of composition material, big blue borders on the baseball side labelled "ball" and "foul" in white
lettering, "HBP" in a red triangle at home plate?

The game originally included big suction-cup darts, which were almost ten inches long with their trailing
streamers. We can also tell you that Sportcraft were in business from at least the 1950s (and maybe earlier)
well into the 1980s (and may still be going -- we'd have to check on that). They produced several varieties of
two-sided dartboard games in a variety of materials throughout that timeframe. You may actually have given us
more information than we can give you, as we'd guessed *Rocket Darts* was more like a circa 1970 product,
but we'll make note of the provenance provided by the fellow who gave you the game.

We'll have to further disappoint you if you're wondering about market value for the game. For some reason,
despite their considerable eye appeal as display items alone, dart games in general, of almost any vintage,
consistently do quite poorly as collectibles. We've seen *Rocket Darts* sell only once among the tens of
thousands of baseball-game auctions we've tracked over the years, and that was for a complete and like-new
example, including the darts and the shipping box. It went for, sorry, one dollar on eBay two years ago.

We hope that's of at least a little help -- if there's anything more we can try to answer, just let us know!

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "kimcardcoll56" wrote:
<< I just recently acquired a wall game called "Sportcraft" Rocket Darts on one side and Rocket Darts Baseball
on the other. I cannot seem to find anything like this on the internet for comparison. Looking for as much
information as you can. The gentleman who gave it to me said he played it in his basement when he was little
and it was still hanging there when I got it. He is 62. He's guessing its from the 50's sometime. The colors are
blue/red/green/yellow/white/black. Thanks!
>>

Message #6053 Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 pm
Re: Big League Baseball by Sycamore Games

Hi Darryl, thanks for the information and your question! Huh! Interesting. Of all the tabletop baseball games
the author could've singled out, he picked Sycamore's *Big League Baseball*? It's a real obscure number,
probably a "cottage industry" production, which we've seen offered for sale or auction only a couple-three times
over the years. It's a very basic dice-driven game -- "pitcher" rolls a single red die to show ball, strike, or
ball in play, then if the ball's in play the "batter" rolls a pair of white dice for the play result.

The instructions include the usual urging to "form a league!," "keep track of player performance!," and so on,
but there's nothing in particular in there that suggests the game is meant to be educational or a fun way to
learn arithmetic or anything. It's gotta make us wonder if Albert was in some way associated with the game
or its designer, or even if Albert himself was the designer. Is there any clue in Albert's book as to where he's
from? What year was the book published, anyway?

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "darrylw05819" wrote:
<< Hi everyone,
I've been reading a book entitled Teaching Statistics Using Baseball by Jim Albert. In the book the author
discusses a game he says was made in the 1960s called Big League Baseball published by Sycamore Games
of Lima Ohio. Is anyone out there familiar with this game or happen to own it?
>>

Message #6054 Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:36 pm
"jim_whitty123" <jimwhitty(at)comcast.net>
BE A MANAGER SEASON 2 is in the books-Twins win the series!

Hi Butch and all
Season 2 of our pub league using the game "Be a Manager" (1966 season edition) is in the books.
The Minnesota Twins led by Harmon Killebrew, Jim Kaat, and Tony Oliva triumphed over the Atlanta Braves
3 games to 2 in our world series. Hank Aaron's 4 Homers in a 5 game series were not enough to stop
the Twins who rallied from a 2 games to 1 deficit to take the crown.
Other highlights included the Twins Bobby Allison blasting 4 Homers in game 4! I have played literally
thousands of games with this simulation and have never had that happen before. It was amazing.
The guy who manages the Twins, "Vito the Manager", had tremendous luck all season with this team.
We played the final game at the Blue Moon Saloon in El Cerrito Ca before we headed over to watch
the Giants home opener at ATT Park. I know, we got it pretty tough.
;-)
We had six teams in the league and our expanding to 10 teams for season 3. I know I have told some of
you guys that I will print cards for you and I still will. I have been extremely busy at work lately but
I will get to it as soon as possible.

I have attached the final statistics for the 60 game season to this email so check it out and see why
Richie Allen of the Phildelphia Phillies was named MVP. Chris Short was voted Cy Young Award winner
for winning 13 of 15 starts.

Thanks for making this possible Butch!
Sincerely,
Jim

Message #6055 Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 pm
"Dayton Payne" <dcpayne125(at)yahoo.com> dcpayne125
Re: re: Can someone help me with a vintage game?

Looks like they're still making dart games and a whole lot more:
http://www.sportcraft.com/index.php

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> ... Sportcraft were in business from at least the 1950s (and maybe earlier) well into the 1980s
> (and may still be going -- we'd have to check on that)....
>

Message #6056 Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:05 pm
Sportcraft (was: Re: Can someone help me with a vintage game?)

Hey there, Dayton, thanks for doing the legwork! We had the feeling Sportcraft were still around,
but we're really surprised to learn just how *long* they've been around!

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "Dayton Payne" wrote:
<< Looks like they're still making dart games and a whole lot more:
http://www.sportcraft.com/index.php
>>

Message #6057 Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Re: Be A Manager Season 2 is in the books-Twins win the series!

Hi Jim, thanks for the update! Always good to hear a success story and that kind of enthusiasm.
Just one little glitch, though -- we're sure many of the members on board would like to see those season stats,
but attachments (files, photos, &c') can't be sent directly to the forum/e-list. You can send 'em to us, though,
off-list, as a .doc, .rtf, or .txt file, and we'll post your results in the Files section of the site.

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "jimwhitty" wrote:
<< Hi Butch and all
Season 2 of our pub league using the game "Be a Manager" (1966 season edition) is in the books.
The Minnesota Twins led by Harmon Killebrew, Jim Kaat, and Tony Oliva triumphed over the Atlanta Braves
3 games to 2 in our world series.... I have attached the final statistics for the 60 game season to this email
so check it out and see.... Thanks for making this possible Butch!
>>

Message #6058 Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 pm
"paknap(at)bellsouth.net" <paknap(at)bellsouth.net>
Amsco Bottlecap Baseball

Hi to Butch & All,
I have an Amsco Bottlecap baseball game from when I was a tomboy many years ago.
It is in its original mailing/storage tube with a December 1966 postage label. The tube is broken
towards one end. It includes the original "1965-1966 Official Rules", all the bottlecaps and Playing Field.
Is anyone interested in purchasing the game before I put it on Ebay?
Patricia

Message #6059 Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:30 am
Scoreboard Baseball

I want to help spread the word about a very good new quick play baseball game called Scoreboard Baseball.
It is from Inside Sports.
The link is:
http://insidesportsgames.org/scoreboard_baseball.htm

I believe it is the best and most complete of the quick play games I have tried in that it can make use of an
entire roster with stats for everyone including relief pitchers. It also does it in about 10-12 minutes per game.

I recommend that you check it out.
Rick T.

Message #6060 Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:15 pm
"giantsfanatic44" <nrusso8235(at)sbcglobal.net>
Re: Negamco Baseball & BLM

If you buy one of the old stock Negamco Baseball games from BigLeagueCo on Ebay, at least SOME editions
include instructions on how to rate players. That way you can have teams based on the 2009 season,
for example, if you look up the statistics and follow the instructions. Just e-mail them and ask which editions
include the instructions for rating players. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 1985 edition (based on the 1984
season) is one of the editions that includes those instructions on how to rate players--you should contact them
to find out for sure.

By the way, I believe ALL editions of the old stock Negamco Football games he sells include instructions
for rating football players for Negamco, in case you are interested.
--Nat

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> ... Mike Boling, longtime valued contibutor to this Forum, writes us off-list -- so as not to publicly embarrass us
> by pointing out yet another error on our part -- that "Big League gameco hasn't made anything 'new' for
> anything for some time now. What they sell on eBay is left over stock. A few individuals have made seasons
> for BLM, but there is no game company still at it."
> ... We were under the vague impression... that new editions of BLM were still being cranked out, in addition to
> the availability of "new" old-stock back-inventory. Better, though, to have the correct information out there
> than to look like we know what the heck we're talking about!
> ....
>

Message #6061 Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:03 am
"yankfans_1961" <yankfans_1961(at)yahoo.com>
Re: 1961 Yankees season replay

Thanks to Butch's suggestion, I have found a home for my 1961 Yankees season replay game files.

Here's the link to the appropriate folder. Individual game results can be viewed / downloaded.
http://www.box.net/shared/ep51clq0zz

Let me know if you have any problems with the link.
Haven't played in a few weeks ... hopefully will get back to it soon.
Thanks,
Dave

--- "Willie Drye" wrote:
> Dave: Just now getting caught up with some old e-mails. Please keep us posted. Thanks...
>

Message #6062 Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:02 pm
Alert: massive card collection stolen

A smidge off-topic for this board, but honest collectors of whatever gotta stick up for each other.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122584

That's a huge top-of-the-line collection of cards from the 1880s to the 1970s. It's pretty well inventoried
in that Net54 thread. Point and shout loudly if you see any of Don's stuff on the internet or at a show anywhere.
It could be anywhere by now.

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

Message #6063 Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 am
"Jerome, David R." <David.Jerome(at)us.ngrid.com>
Re: Alert: massive card collection stolen

What a shame, i would look at someone who knew about the collection.

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> A smidge off-topic for this board, but honest collectors of whatever gotta stick up for each other.
> http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122584
> That's a huge top-of-the-line collection of cards from the 1880s to the 1970s....
>

Message #6064 Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:33 am

couldn't get to the link

--- "yankfans_1961" wrote:
> ... I have found a home for my 1961 Yankees season replay game files.
> Here's the link to the appropriate folder. Individual game results can be viewed / downloaded.
> http://www.box.net/shared/ep51clq0zz
> Let me know if you have any problems with the link....
>

Message #6065 Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 pm
"Nachman Kreitman" <nachman_kreitman(at)yahoo.com>
Strat-O-Matic's Sphere.html Site

I am an avid Strat-O-Matic baseball fan. Could anyone please tell me whatever happened to the "sphere" web site
( http://www.strat-o-matic.com/sphere.html )? It was very informative, especially when there were
card corrections. Is there another site that would have this information?
Thank you.
Nachman

Message #6066 Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 pm

Cutting and pasting the link into the URL box didn't help either?

--- "Jerome, David R." wrote:
> couldn't get to the link
>
> --- "yankfans_1961" wrote:
> > http://www.box.net/shared/ep51clq0zz
> > Let me know if you have any problems with the link....
>

Message #6067 Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:42 pm
"Bruce Rubin" <barubin(at)yahoo.com> barubin

Wow!
"... Richie Allen of the Phildelphia Phillies was named MVP. Chris Short was voted Cy Young Award winner for
winning 13 of 15 starts." What were Richie's stats?
TIA.

--- "jimwhitty" wrote:
> ... Season 2 of our pub league using the game "Be a Manager" (1966 season edition) is in the books.
> The Minnesota Twins... triumphed over the Atlanta Braves 3 games to 2 in our world series....
> We had six teams in the league and our expanding to 10 teams for season 3.... I have attached
> the final statistics for the 60 game season to this email so check it out ...
>

Message #6068 Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:38 am
"Joe Harder" <professoratplay(at)gmail.com> joe_harder
Re: Strat-O-Matic's Sphere.html Site

I haven't looked for awhile, but I know Lamanna's baseball bulletin is a good source of info (my go-to source
for card numbers), and Stratogists and SOMWorld both have useful stuff.

It seems like the Strat-O-Matic company itself should publish card errors, but then again, it seems like
they should be able to develop bug-free software
:-) .

Message #6069 Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 am
Re: re: 1961 Yankees season replay

no

> Cutting and pasting the link into the URL box didn't help either?
>

Message #6070 Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:17 am
a bit disappointed

I am a little bit disappointed in this group. I made a post about a week ago about a new quick play baseball game
that is very good called Scoreboard Baseball. I have no financial stake in the game at all. But I am disappointed
because nobody commented about the game. Sample teams and free game parts are available for it. I would have
thought one or more people would have checked it out and written something. Last time I checked the description
for this group it was about people who collect AND play these great games.

Message #6071 Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:42 am
"Susan" <memawofangels(at)yahoo.com> memawofangels
RJF RAFF 1948 baseball board game

hi my name is susan and i resently come across this old board game at my house there are ball players a ball
and bat instructions on how to play there are also signitures all over the board each team of baseball players
have there own colors for each team. can anyone tell me anything about it?

Message #6072 Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:46 am
Re: re: Be A Manager Season 2 is in the books-Twins win the series!

Hi Bruce and all,
I Sent the stats for Butch to post on the site.
Jim

--- "Bruce Rubin" wrote:
> Wow! "...Richie Allen of the Phildelphia Phillies was named MVP. Chris Short was voted Cy Young Award winner
> for winning 13 of 15 starts." What were Richie's stats? TIA.
>

Message #6073 Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 pm
"curt young" <curtyoung13(at)hotmail.com> curtyoung13
Re: re: Alert: massive card collection stolen

dr j:
i would suggest that n e 1 in upstate NY [i wish they had provided a bit more detail] keep his/her eyes peeled
4 offers in pennysaver newspapers, the oneida daily dispatch, etc. perhaps some1 bold enough 2 break into
a house and steal baseball cards is dumb enough 2 advertise in the big city papers, too.

curt young
kannapolis NC
chittenango NY

> What a shame, i would look at someone who knew about the collection.
>

Message #6074 Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:59 pm

You getting one of those 404 error messages? Anyone else have any success?

> no
>

Message #6075 Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 pm
"textraders" <rahenson1(at)hotmail.com>
Re: a bit disappointed

I went to the website. If it makes any sense I thought the game was both too complicated and too simple.
The one dice roll for a whole inning seemed too simple to me. All the machinations that come from the
one dice roll seems too complicated to me. I'll freely grant not every game is made for my enjoyment
and others may find the advantages you listed as very persuasive. It just didn't appeal to me.

--- "Rickert" wrote:
> I am a little bit disappointed in this group. I made a post about a week ago about a new quick play
> baseball game that is very good called Scoreboard Baseball.... But I am disappointed because nobody
> commented about the game.... I would have thought one or more people would have checked it out and
> written something. Last time I checked the description for this group it was about people who collect
> AND play these great games.
>

Message #6076 Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:47 pm
Re: F J Raff 1948 baseball board game

Hi again Susan -- this is really the exact same question you asked just a couple of weeks ago, which we thought
we did a pretty fair job of answering at the time. However, in checking back through the message archives,
we see your original post has mysteriously and somewhat disturbingly vanished, perhaps some unfortunate
side-effect of the technical glitches that were plaguing Yahoo forums around that time.

In the interest of thoroughness, then, we'll quote both your now-deleted post (was #6025) and our still-extant
response (#6026 from 29 March):

> --- "Butch7999" wrote:
> Re: F J Raff 1948 Autograph Baseball Game
> Hello Susan, welcome to the group and thanks for your question! You have come to the right place for answers
> on this sort of thing. It seems you're already pretty well on top of the game, however -- you have the
> manufacturer and date correct, and it sounds like you have all the component parts. You didn't mention
> the actual gameboard / playing field, but we're assuming you have that as well. *Autograph* is an attractive
> piece either for play or display, but despite its 62 years, it's not an uncommon find -- except that you have
> *both* the board and the pieces. Each is frequently found separately, so it usually takes two or three purchases
> to acquire a complete game. Still, its relatively easy availability holds its market price down a bit -- we've seen
> the board, alone, and in decent to outstanding condition, sell for as much as $70. but as low as $13. Thirty
> to $35. is a very typical price. The game pieces, in varying degrees of completeness, have ranged from
> around $5. to $40., but average about $15.
> We hope that helps! If you're planning on selling it, please be aware of restrictions on advertising
> here in the forum/e-list: http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/Forumpolicy.htm
> Any other questions you may have, though, don't hesitate to ask!
>
>> --- "Susan" wrote:
>> F J Raff 1948 Autograph Baseball Game
>> hi my name is susan and i just found your web site and was wondering if you could tell me anything about
>> it and the value? there are ball players for both teams the color of there uniforms are red and white and
>> 9 players for one team and the other teams uniforms are gray and green and there are 4 players there
>> are two balls and one bat and instructions to go along with it. If there is someone that could help me with
>> this i would be greatly appreciate the help.
>> thanks
>>
>

We do see from your newer post that you do indeed have the board as well as the parts.
Like we said first time 'round, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "Susan" wrote:
<< hi my name is susan and i resently come across this old board game at my house there are ball players
a ball and bat instructions on how to play there are also signitures all over the board each team of baseball
players have there own colors for each team. can anyone tell me anything about it?
>>

Message #6077 Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Thanks for sending that file along on Tuesday morning, Jim! It's now available -- titled BeAManagerJW2.xls --
in the "Games" folder of our Files section. Fellers, note that you'll need Excel or an Excel reader to view that file.

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "jimwhitty" wrote:
<< Hi Bruce and all, I Sent the stats for Butch to post on the site.
>>

Message #6078 Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi Dave/yanksfan, no problems here in accessing your files, and thanks for posting those and letting the group
know about it. David J, it would really save some time in helping you if you provided just a smidgen more detail
about what's happening when you try to reach the webpage. Are you not getting the page at all (404), or
are you seeing the page but unable to download/view the files? Those are .pdf files and require a .pdf viewer,
which is to say Adobe.

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

<< You getting one of those 404 error messages? Anyone else have any success?
>
> --- "Jerome, David R." wrote:
> > no
>>

Message #6079 Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:08 am

hi,
THE only message I get is this page is not accsesable. I do have adobe reader.
david

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> Hi Dave/yanksfan, no problems here in accessing your files, and thanks for posting those and letting the group
> know about it.
> David J... Are you not getting the page at all (404), or are you seeing the page but unable to download/view
> the files? Those are .pdf files and require a .pdf viewer, which is to say Adobe.
>

Message #6080 Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:33 am

dr yank:
i did get 2 read 5 files of your 1961 replay without a problem, from a town library computer.
my main question is: how the fiddledee did a yankee home game in 1961 have less than 2000 in attendance?!
curt young

> You getting one of those 404 error messages? Anyone else have any success?
>

Message #6081 Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:39 am
"Chris" <flyingpickle(at)yahoo.com> cjwitt

Agreed. I looked at the site too. Just had no interest in what I saw there. Doesn't mean it's bad. I mean,
you like it, so there must be some other people out there who like it as well. I just didn't care for it, personally.

--- "textraders" wrote:
> I went to the website.... I'll freely grant not every game is made for my enjoyment and others may find
> the advantages you listed as very persuasive. It just didn't appeal to me.
>

Message #6082 Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:37 am
"William Underwood" <wausport(at)bellatlantic.net> wau60

If you are into replays it is good but I prefer draft leagues and you can't use it for that so I have passed.
Incidentally there is a quick replay game by Downey Sports, "Player of the Game" that DOES support draft leagues.

--- "textraders" wrote:
> I went to the website.... I'll freely grant not every game is made for my enjoyment and others may find
> the advantages you listed as very persuasive. It just didn't appeal to me.
>

Message #6083 Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Curt,
The Yankees had a few early season cancellations due to weather conditions in 1961. The April 16th Sunday
doubleheader vs. Kansas City was postponed and one of those games was made up the next day. Due to
freezing cold weather, a weak Athletics team, and the fact that it was a Monday afternoon kept the attendance
down to 1,947 (the lowest in seven seasons).
Dave

--- "curt young" wrote:
> dr yank:
> i did get 2 read 5 files of your 1961 replay without a problem, from a town library computer.
> my main question is: how the fiddledee did a yankee home game in 1961 have less than 2000 in attendance?!
>

Message #6084 Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:45 am

I don't beleive yanks were a good draw back then, day Maris hit 61 i think they only had around 30,000.00

> ... The Yankees had a few early season cancellations due to weather conditions in 1961. The April 16th
> Sunday doubleheader vs. Kansas City was postponed and one of those games was made up the next day.
> Due to freezing cold weather, a weak Athletics team, and the fact that it was a Monday afternoon
> kept the attendance down to 1,947 (the lowest in seven seasons).
>

Message #6085 Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 am
"Bill Staffa" <daedalus67(at)verizon.net> czarskeeter

> I don't beleive yanks were a good draw back then, day Maris hit 61 i think they only had around 30,000.00
>

If you count all the folks who say they were there, I think it was more like 250,000.
Bill

Message #6086 Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:14 pm
"jballgameca" <j.r.horn1(at)shaw.ca>

No offense, Rick, but I believe your original post was only intended to alert us about the game. It was good of you
to let us know it's available but it's somewhat presumptuous of you to be "a little bit disappointed in this group"
for not posting responses and feedback. Believe it or not, this group is not here to meet whatever unknown
expectations you may have set for us.

My personal experience is that posting on any forums expecting a flurry of responses often ends up in
disappointment.

--- "Rickert" wrote:
> I am a little bit disappointed in this group. I made a post about a week ago about a new quick play baseball
> game that is very good called Scoreboard Baseball.... But I am disappointed because nobody commented
> about the game.... I would have thought one or more people would have checked it out and written something.
> Last time I checked the description for this group it was about people who collect AND play these great games.
>

Message #6087 Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:53 pm

23,154 to be exact. To be honest, I knew it was 23,000 but I looked it up for the exact number.

It's hard to imagine that they had 40,000 empty seats that day but there are a few reasons that come to mind:

1. Yankee fans had grown somewhat blase over a team that had the pennant sewn up
and had done nothing but win since 1921.

2. Statistics and records weren't nearly as important as they are in this 24-7 sports channel world we now live in.

3. Many people didn't want to see the Babe's record broken.

4. Many people wanted to see the record broken, but not by Maris. The Mick was the people's cherce to hit 61.

I have the radio broadcast of that game and The Scooter was certainly excited when Roger hit it out.
John

> I don't beleive yanks were a good draw back then, day Maris hit 61 i think they only had around 30,000.00
>

Message #6088 Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:55 am

dr j:
u r sorta right. i just finished the recent bio of r maris, and i think the attendance was about 23K.
don't quote me, as i returned the book 2 the kannapolis library the other day, or i would, as mr stengel advised,
look it up.
curt

>

Message #6089 Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 am
"Rick Teverbaugh" <rickert46015(at)yahoo.com> rickert46015
Re: re: a bit disappointed

I was just going by what I had seen from other people who made similar posts over the past year or so.

Also, who in the world ever said I wanted a "flurry" of responses? I was pointing out that I didn't have one.
Or maybe when the weatherman predicts snow flurries, you expect a single snowflake???
Rick T.

--- "jballgameca" wrote:
> No offense, Rick, but I believe your original post was only intended to alert us about the game. It was
> good of you to let us know it's available but it's somewhat presumptuous of you to be "a little bit disappointed
> in this group" for not posting responses and feedback. Believe it or not, this group is not here to meet
> whatever unknown expectations you may have set for us.
> My personal experience is that posting on any forums expecting a flurry of responses often ends up in
> disappointment.
>

Message #6090 Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 am
"ME" <boresox(at)comcast.net> antonebrad

23,154 fans at Fenway the day Maris hit #61 off Boston pitcher Tracy Stallard.
I remember wathcing the game on t.v.
Weren't many fans at Fenway for Ted Williams last game either when he homered in his last Major League at bat.
Brad.

--- "curt young" wrote:
> ... i just finished the recent bio of r maris, and i think the attendance was about 23K. don't quote me,
> as i returned the book 2 the kannapolis library the other day, or i would, as mr stengel advised, look it up.
>

Message #6091 Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:11 am

Maris hit #61 in front of 23,154 at Yankee Stadium. There were only 10,000 and change at Ted's last game.

--- "ME" wrote:
> 23,154 fans at Fenway the day Maris hit #61 off Boston pitcher Tracy Stallard. I remember
> wathcing the game on t.v. Weren't many fans at Fenway for Ted Williams last game either
> when he homered in his last Major League at bat.
>

Message #6092 Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:24 am

John,
All good points.
david

--- "jballgameca" wrote:
> 23,154 to be exact.... It's hard to imagine that they had 40,000 empty seats that day
> but there are a few reasons that come to mind:
> ...
>

Message #6093 Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:04 pm
Tabletop baseball games in the movies

Member "Frank" ("frakk001") over on our sibling CadacoASB board
[ http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cad ... eballGame/ ]
just posted that he noticed Cadaco's classic *All-Star Baseball* making a cameo appearance in
a fairly recent yet fairly obscure movie titled "Stolen Summer" [ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286162/ ].
We're unfamiliar with that film; it sounds like an awful bit of treacle -- written and directed by the guy who
won TV's "Project Greenlight" contest [ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299368/ ] a few years back --
but anything with Bonnie Hunt in it can't be all *that* bad.

Anyway, it got us trying to recall what other movies feature tabletop baseball games -- a question or topic
we're pretty sure hasn't previously been raised in here in our six years on-line. The only other two we can
think of are Colmor's early-1940s handheld dexterity game *Baseball,* noticeable in that classic 1944 thriller
"Laura" [ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037008/ ], and (thanks to HOF curator Tom Shieber for bringing
this one to our attention a while back), *Major League Base Ball Game* (or possibly *Major League Indoor
Base Ball
*) by the Philadelphia Game Mfg Co, seen in the 1913 silent short "Breaking Into the Big League"
[ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421797/ ].

Anyone on board ever notice any other game shown in any other movie, or in any TV show for that matter?

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

Message #6094 Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:47 pm
"Tom Stillman" <giantsfan_94121(at)yahoo.com> giantsfan_94121

Even expecting one response could lead to disappointment. I'd never expect anyone to respond anything I said.
Just good to keep people informed.
Tom Stillman

--- "jballgameca" wrote:
> No offense, Rick, but I believe your original post was only intended to alert us about the game. It was
> good of you to let us know it's available but it's somewhat presumptuous of you to be "a little bit disappointed
> in this group" for not posting responses and feedback.... My personal experience is that posting on any forums
> expecting a flurry of responses often ends up in disappointment.
>

Message #6095 Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:48 pm
"Chris Bryant" <prince_charming98bg(at)yahoo.com>

Wiliams game wasn't intended to be his last. After he hit the homerum Williams decided that was a good way
to go out so he decided to skip the last series in New York. Attendance tended to be lower back then ,anyway.
Population was smaller and late in the season the American league rarely had a pennnant race. Attendance
was 8000 when Ruth hit 60.
Chris Bryant

--- "jballgameca" wrote:
> Maris hit #61 in front of 23,154 at Yankee Stadium. There were only 10,000 and change at Ted's last game.
>

Message #6096 Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:38 pm
Re: Tabletop baseball games in the movies

I'm pretty sure SOM baseball was mentioned in a Spike Lee film.
Brad.

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> Member "Frank" ("frakk001") over on our sibling CadacoASB board ... just posted that he noticed Cadaco's
> classic *All-Star Baseball* making a cameo appearance in a fairly recent yet fairly obscure movie titled
> "Stolen Summer" [ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286162/ ]....
> Anyway, it got us trying to recall what other movies feature tabletop baseball games -- a question or topic
> we're pretty sure hasn't previously been raised in here in our six years on-line. The only other two
> we can think of are Colmor's early-1940s handheld dexterity game *Baseball,* noticeable in that classic
> 1944 thriller "Laura" ... and (thanks to HOF curator Tom Shieber for bringing this one to our attention
> a while back), *Major League Base Ball Game* (or possibly *Major League Indoor Base Ball*) by the
> Philadelphia Game Mfg Co, seen in the 1913 silent short "Breaking Into the Big League"....
> Anyone on board ever notice any other game shown in any other movie, or in any TV show for that matter?
>

Message #6097 Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:12 pm
"Chris" <flyingpickle(at)yahoo.com> cjwitt

I think the best known example I can think of is Strat appearing in Spike Lee's "Crooklyn".

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> Member "Frank" ("frakk001") over on our sibling CadacoASB board... just posted that he noticed Cadaco's
> classic *All-Star Baseball* making a cameo appearance in a fairly recent yet fairly obscure movie titled
> "Stolen Summer" [ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286162/ ].
> ... Anyway, it got us trying to recall what other movies feature tabletop baseball games....
> ... Anyone on board ever notice any other game shown in any other movie, or in any TV show for that matter?
>

Message #6098 Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:28 pm
"Eric Lutzker" <ericlutzker(at)comcast.net> ericlutzker

in spike lee's autobiographical 'crooklyn' there is a fairly lengthy scene in which the spike lee analogue
and his brother are seen playing strat-o-matic baseball. it's clear that they are playing the basic version too.
not from the movies but i remember reading somewhere that during the blossoming of the watergate scandal
nixon's son in law, david eisenhower, took refuge from the stress by playing apba baseball obsessively.
-e

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> Member "Frank" ("frakk001") over on our sibling CadacoASB board ... just posted that he noticed Cadaco's
> "Stolen Summer" ... Anyway, it got us trying to recall what other movies feature tabletop baseball games....
> Anyone on board ever notice any other game shown in any other movie, or in any TV show for that matter?
>

Message #6099 Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:21 pm
1961 Yankees season replay

dr h:
good points. according to the recent textbook, the yankees blew it in not hyping the pursuit of the record
beyond game #154. thanks a bunch, ford frick, you NL bozo. i was a babe ruth fan, too, but this new guy was
mighty amazing. there were maybe millions of others of us out there in radio land who were kinda thrilled, too.

i may have lost them in the shuffle from NC to NY in recent years, but for many a year i had newspaper clippings
about the M&M boys and the pursuit of the record that summer. i was a mickey mantle fan, but loved roger maris,
the new kid on the block, mostly via radio and next-day newspaper. i think the syracuse herald-journal carried
every box score of yankee games that summer. at one time, i probably owned them all. those articles made
good conversation pieces. i found students in NC who were not old enough to remember, but who had been
brought up well and could recite the 1961 yankee lineup, in correct order. in the 1970s, the yankee cap was
still #1 in NC.

related to that, i always wondered why mr maris was rated as so pedestrian a fielder in the david neft ATAS
game. there were dozens of ballplayers who played with mr maris who rate his D highly in that recent biography,
including during his st louis years. maybe over his best seven years his defense had dissipated, but it seemed
top-notch in his primo seasons in NY. it was tough judging over the radio, but those sequential pictures in the
paper showing mr maris hauling in a HR at the 44-inch railing were impressive.

as an engineer, i demand more accuracy. can you please provide at least 3 decimal digits
with that attendance figure?!
curt young
back in chittenango

--- "j.r.horn1" wrote:
> 23,154 to be exact. To be honest, I knew it was 23,000 but I looked it up for the exact number.
> It's hard to imagine that they had 40,000 empty seats that day but there are a few reasons that come to mind:
> ...
> I have the radio broadcast of that game and The Scooter was certainly excited when Roger hit it out.
> >
> > --- "Jerome, David R." wrote:
> > I don't beleive yanks were a good draw back then, day Maris hit 61 i think they only had around 30,000.00
>

Message #6100 Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 pm
"gak4880" <gak4880(at)yahoo.com>
60's vintage Sports Games

I have the following games from when I was a kid:
Tudor Jr. League Magnetic Baseball
Predict -a-Play
Milton Bradley - Baseball
Built-Rite - Jr. Quarterback
Cadco - Bas-Ket
Tudor - Electric Football
Transogram - NFL Quarterback
Eagle Toys - National Basketball
Gilbert Magnetic Puck Hockey game. - Toronto Mapleleafs vs Montreal Canadians

They all have their original boxes,albeit in very brittle and rough condition.
The general condition of the group OF GAMES ranges from good to poor. Some games are incomplete
and may have some pieces missing. I'm inteested in their value as a set. Any thoughts?

Message #6101 Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Brad, Chris, Eric, thanks for the feedback on our question. We knew Lee was a big Strat fan but hadn't known
he featured it in any of his movies. So there's a fourth for this very short list.

By odd coincidence, "Laura" played on TCM just last night, giving us another look at
the Colmor *Baseball* dexterity game the Dana Andrews character kept toying with.

Any more nominees in this category?

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "Eric Lutzker" wrote:
<< in spike lee's autobiographical 'crooklyn' there is a fairly lengthy scene in which
the spike lee analogue and his brother are seen playing strat-o-matic baseball.
>>

Message #6102 Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:32 pm
Re: 60's vintage Sports Games

Hiya gak, welcome to the group and thanks for your question. Sounds like you're preparing to put those
up on eBay or Craigslist or someplace, so please familiarize yourself with our Forum rules on advertising
-- http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/Forumpolicy.htm --
and bear in mind you can't expressly offer anything for sale in here until you've been on board for ninety days.

That said, and taking completeness and condition into consideration, it doesn't look like you've got any
big-ticket items in that game pile. We'd suggest you'd do better selling them in smaller lots, grouped by sport
-- the two baseball games together, maybe, the two basketball games, the three football games. We're not
experts on tabletop hockey (nor on anything whatsoever, really), but we know *some* vintage rod-hockey games
earn huge prices (well, huge by *our* standards, which is to say anything over a hundred bucks), so if the
Gilbert hockey game (we're unfamiliar with that particular item) is of that genre, you might do well with that one
as an individual listing.

Leaving that one aside, we'd say you'd be very lucky indeed to get anything close to $100. total
for the rest of the games all together, and probably closer to $60.-75. as one large lot.

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "gak4880" wrote:
<< I have the following games from when I was a kid:
They all have their original boxes,albeit in very brittle and rough condition. The general condition
of the group OF GAMES ranges from good to poor. Some games are incomplete and may have
some pieces missing. I'm inteested in their value as a set. Any thoughts?
>>

Message #6103 Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm
"john barnes" <johnbarnes37(at)yahoo.com>
Re: re: Tabletop baseball games in the movies

It wasn't a movie, but I remember a scene on a soap opera (probably The Guiding Light, it was
my mother's favorite) where a guy was trying to impress the son of a woman he was wooing and
bought him a Sports Illustrated baseball game, which they played together. I was thrilled because
I had just received a copy of the game, so it must have been some time in the early 1970s.

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> ... thanks for the feedback on our question. We knew Lee was a big Strat fan but hadn't known he featured it
> in any of his movies. So there's a fourth for this very short list.... Any more nominees in this category?
>

Message #6104 Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:35 pm
"Greg Kane" <gak4880(at)yahoo.com>
Re: re: 60's vintage Sports Games

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> Hiya gak, welcome to the group and thanks for your question.... taking completeness and condition into
> consideration, it doesn't look like you've got any big-ticket items in that game pile. We'd suggest you'd
> do better selling them in smaller lots, grouped by sport....
>

Message #6105 Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:26 pm
"Lionheart174" <za7002az(at)yahoo.com> za7002az
Earl Gillespie Baseball Card Game

I just found a baseball card game hiding in my library closet. It is a brand new - sealed in box,
"Earl Gillespie Baseball Game." It is from 1961 by Wil-Gill, inc. It has an original price of $20 on it
but I think I paid $5 to $10 for it, maybe 15 years ago. Anyone know about it or played it?
I'll probably open it when I finish cleaning the library, in about two months.
Gary

Message #6106 Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 pm
"Bruce Rubin" <barubin(at)yahoo.com> barubin

Jim,
Thanks for getting the stats uploaded. BTW, the photo in the upper right hand corner looks like Clemente, Mays,
and Aaron. Considering the firepower the NL had in the 1960's to compliment those 3 (Allen, McCovey, Stargell,
etc.) I almost feel sorry for the AL.
--Bruce

--- "jimwhitty" wrote:
> Hi Bruce and all, I Sent the stats for Butch to post on the site.
>

Message #6107 Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:57 pm
Re: Earl Gillespie Baseball Card Game

Hey Gary,
My 'library' has a toilet, sink, shower and bath. I don't keep any games in there though.
<G>
Brad.

--- "Lionheart174" wrote:
> I just found a baseball card game hiding in my library closet. It is a brand new -
> sealed in box, "Earl Gillespie Baseball Game." It is from 1961 by Wil-Gill, inc....
>

Message #6108 Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:29 am
Re: Earl Gillespie Baseball Card Game

Hi there Gary, thanks for the question! *Earl Gillespie Baseball Game* (made by Wei-Gill, actually) is a basic
"draw" game, similar to Ed-U-Cards' better-known *Batter Up!* and *Baseball Card Game,* but with 48 cards
instead of the 36 in the Ed-U-Cards games. Gillespie -- presumably the "Gill" in "Wei-Gill" as well -- was the
voice of the Milwaukee Braves for many years, and evidently was using "Holy cow!" as a trademark call
even before the sainted Phil Rizzuto.

We're guessing there was a small warehouse find of these some years back, as most examples seen for sale
or auction on-line are, like yours, still factory-sealed. It used to be a fairly common offering on eBay, but
we haven't seen one for quite a while. When it was appearing there frequently, it sold for an unusually steady
$9.-$12., although a couple of wacky bids on other venues push the average price just a bit higher.

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "Lionheart174" wrote:
<< I just found a baseball card game hiding in my library closet. It is a brand new - sealed in box,
"Earl Gillespie Baseball Game." It is from 1961 by Wil-Gill, inc. It has an original price of $20 on it but
I think I paid $5 to $10 for it, maybe 15 years ago. Anyone know about it or played it? I'll probably open it
when I finish cleaning the library, in about two months.
>>

Message #6109 Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:43 am

Hi there John, thanks for that factoid! Wow, obscure citation. We'll certainly take your word for it --
we only wish there was some way to locate that scene among the more than a thousand possible episodes
in which it might have appeared!

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "john barnes" wrote:
<< It wasn't a movie, but I remember a scene on a soap opera (probably The Guiding Light, it was
my mother's favorite) where a guy was trying to impress the son of a woman he was wooing and
bought him a Sports Illustrated baseball game, which they played together. I was thrilled because
I had just received a copy of the game, so it must have been some time in the early 1970s.
>>

Message #6110 Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:11 am

The anomaly was the Baltimore Orioles, who as you know won the series in 1966. We have started season 3
with ten teams and the Orioles are 5-1. Boog Powell has 5 home runs in 6 games and is pretty much driving me
to drink more beers than even a pub league should allow!
Thanks,
Jim

----- "Bruce Rubin" wrote:
> Jim, Thanks for getting the stats uploaded. BTW, the photo in the upper right hand corner looks like Clemente,
> Mays, and Aaron. Considering the firepower the NL had in the 1960's to compliment those 3 (Allen, McCovey,
> Stargell, etc.) I almost feel sorry for the AL.
>

Message #6111 Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm
"chrisharrison355" <chrisharrison355(at)yahoo.com>

Rick: I just got this and I appreciate the heads-up. I always am on the lookout for games I have never heard of,
as it is not always easy to come across this kind of information. I liked what I have read so far, and added the site
to my "favorites" so I not only look at the baseball game more, but the other sports offered too.

After I have read more about the actual rules, I'll let you know what I think about it. What do you think about it?

--- "Rick Teverbaugh" wrote:
> I was just going by what I had seen from other people who made similar posts over the past year or so....
>

Message #6112 Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 am

Jim,
Hi, In MY 66 replay ,Orioles started slow and are now coming on at 22-16 , 3 games out of first.
David

--- "jimwhitty" wrote:
> The anomaly was the Baltimore Orioles, who as you know won the series in 1966. We have started season 3
> with ten teams and the Orioles are 5-1. Boog Powell has 5 home runs in 6 games and is pretty much
> driving me to drink more beers than even a pub league should allow! ...
>

Message #6113 Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:52 pm
"Rick Teverbaugh" <rickert46015(at)yahoo.com> rickert46015

It is the best quick play game I've played so far in terms of games that try to produce a box score full of stats.
For me errors and walks and runs scored for hitters are the only things missing. It also plays rather quickly
and gives inning-by-inning which some quick play games don't.
Rick

--- "chrisharrison355" wrote:
> Rick: I just got this and I appreciate the heads-up. I always am on the lookout for games I have never
> heard of... I liked what I have read so far... After I have read more about the actual rules, I'll let you know
> what I think about it. What do you think about it?
>

Message #6114 Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 pm
"Chris Bryant" <prince_charming98bg(at)yahoo.com>

That's almost exactly where they were historically;the '66 Orioles had a bad May,as you know
if you're following along with the retrosheet website.
Chris Bryant

> ... In MY 66 replay ,Orioles started slow and are now coming on at 22-16 , 3 games out of first.
>

Message #6115 Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 am

yes , i am good point.

--- "Chris Bryant" wrote:
> That's almost exactly where they were historically;the '66 Orioles had a bad May,
> as you know if you're following along with the retrosheet website.
>

Message #6116 Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:29 pm

dr j:
please keep us fully informed as i m anxious 2 c how the 1966 yankees fare over a season. i m the guy
who contends they should have finished about 5th in the AL and suspects hanky-panky along the CBS/houk axis.

curt young
chittenango NY
kannapolis NC

--- "David.Jerome" wrote:
> ... In MY 66 replay ,Orioles started slow and are now coming on at 22-16 , 3 games out of first.
>

Message #6117 Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:56 pm

dr w:
did this 1966 simulation NOT include the yankees? u mention 6 teams, so i guess NY would not b included. [?]
i m very interested in results of an AL season replay 4 1966. u did not post final standings in the FILES of
the group, so it is not obvious how many teams and which teams were included.
curt young

--- "jimwhitty" wrote:
> ... Season 2 of our pub league using the game "Be a Manager" (1966 season edition) is in the books.
> The Minnesota Twins led by Harmon Killebrew, Jim Kaat, and Tony Oliva triumphed over the Atlanta Braves
> 3 games to 2 in our world series.... I have attached the final statistics for the 60 game season to this email
> so check it out and see why Richie Allen of the Phildelphia Phillies was named MVP. Chris Short was voted
> Cy Young Award winner for winning 13 of 15 starts....
>

Message #6118 Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm

I remember the Yankees very well from that 1966 season.
There was no 'hanky panky'. Yanks finished just where they should have.
Brad.

--- "curt young" wrote:
> ... please keep us fully informed as i m anxious 2 c how the 1966 yankees fare over a season. i m the guy
> who contends they should have finished about 5th in the AL and suspects hanky-panky along the CBS/houk axis.
>

Message #6119 Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:43 am

If you look at the yanks schedule that year ,they lost a lot of close 1 and 2 run games.
And many of the games they did win were blow outs.
david

--- "ME" wrote:
> I remember the Yankees very well from that 1966 season.
> There was no 'hanky panky'. Yanks finished just where they should have.
>

Message #6120 Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 am

Correct. And that's why they ended up in the cellar. They just weren't good enough. Like I said, I remember
that '66 team very well, and they never proved to me that they should have been a winning team.
Brad.

--- "David R. Jerome" wrote:
> If you look at the yanks schedule that year ,they lost a lot of close 1 and 2 run games.
> And many of the games they did win were blow outs.
>

Message #6121 Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:30 pm
"onetruekirok" <onetruekirok(at)yahoo.com>
What is this game?

I remember playing a simple baseball game in the mid-70's. The details are sketchy but it involved
pink and blue cards about playing card size. Can't remember if dice were involved.
Anybody know what this game was called or how to get it?

Message #6122 Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:34 pm
"textraders" <rahenson1(at)hotmail.com>
Re: Yank tank? (was: Re: Be A Manager Season 2 is in the books...)

Or they may have just had bad luck. Each year there's a team or two that vastly under or over performs
their pythagorean record. We don't have to go to collusion as the explanation.

--- "ME" wrote:
> Correct. And that's why they ended up in the cellar. They just weren't good enough. Like I said,
> I remember that '66 team very well, and they never proved to me that they should have been a winning team.
>

Message #6123 Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:22 pm
Re: What is this game?

Hiya Kirok, welcome to the group and thanks for your question! (And, just the three guys here
in the front office speaking, but thanks also for changing the subject du jour!)

We get a lot of "What's this game I sort of remember?" questions here, and those may be our favorites,
maybe because we're usually fairly good at figuring out the answers. But you're not giving us much to go on,
as you said -- and while it's entirely possible (likely, even) that we're overlooking some obvious candidate,
we're frankly drawing a blank in trying to recall a 1960s-'70s game that featured standard-sized pink and blue
cards. Oversized cards, undersized cards, red and blue cards, yes, but nothing that quite matches what
you've described.

But don't give up on us yet! There are 1100-some-odd other members here who might know what your game
was. In the meantime, perhaps a follow-up question or two will help clear things up. Maybe we're fixated
on the idea of pink and blue cards. We took that to mean the base color, or predominant background color,
of the cards was pink and blue. Did you instead mean that they were, say, white cards, with pink and blue text
or illustrations? Check out the Warren page [ http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/BbWarren.htm ]
of our main website and let us know if you find your game shown there. If not, come on back and search
your memory for any other details you can recall about your game -- size or color of the box, quirky results
among the cards, anything at all. You must remember! You are a god! You are Kirok!!!

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "onetruekirok" wrote:
> I remember playing a simple baseball game in the mid-70's. The details are sketchy but it involved
> pink and blue cards about playing card size. Can't remember if dice were involved. Anybody know
> what this game was called or how to get it?
>

Message #6124 Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:57 pm
Re: Yank tank? (was: Re: Be A Manager Season 2 is in the books...)

Finishing in last place takes more than back luck and/or collusion. <G>
Like I said, the Yankees were just a poor team. Why is that so hard to understand?
Because they are the 'Yankees'?
Brad.

--- "textraders" wrote:
> Or they may have just had bad luck. Each year there's a team or two that vastly under or over performs
> their pythagorean record. We don't have to go to collusion as the explanation.
>

Message #6125 Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:01 pm
Re: re: What is this game?

Pink and blue cards sounds like 'Pursue the Pennant', but that game didn't hit the market until later I think.
I remember getting a brochure from a new baseball board game in the early '70s I believe it was.
They also sent a free Rod Carew card. Cards were fairly small, (about the size of Replay cards maybe?)
and the card stock wasn't very sturdy. Don't remember the name of that baseball game though.
Brad.

--- "onetruekirok" wrote:
> I remember playing a simple baseball game in the mid-70's. The details are sketchy but it involved
> pink and blue cards about playing card size. Can't remember if dice were involved. Anybody know
> what this game was called or how to get it?
>

Message #6126 Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:09 pm
"O" <noiro(at)cox.net> orionkbell
Barnes raising (was: Re: Tabletop baseball games in the movies)

John Barnes?? I once knew a John Barnes invented Statis Pro Baseball. Are you he?
I was a service consultant at Dun & Bradstreet located in KC and John Barnes lived in Iowa.
Any relation? Really be odd not to be you? :)
O

--- "john barnes" wrote:
> It wasn't a movie, but I remember a scene on a soap opera (probably The Guiding Light, it was
> my mother's favorite) where a guy was trying to impress the son of a woman he was wooing
> and bought him a Sports Illustrated baseball game, which they played together. I was thrilled
> because I had just received a copy of the game, so it must have been some time in the early 1970s.
>

Message #6127 Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:44 pm
Re: Barnes raising (was: Re: Tabletop baseball games in the movies)

Hi-ho, O... ehhh... Objection! Objection, yer honor. No sir, you did not, nor is he him.
You may well, however, have known the *Jim* Barnes who designed the *Statis-Pro* games. Our August 2006
interview with *Statis-Pro* Barnes can be found here in the "Games" folder of our Files section [ StatisPro.rtf ].
;-)

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "O" wrote:
<< John Barnes?? I once knew a John Barnes invented Statis Pro Baseball. Are you he?
I was a service consultant at Dun & Bradstreet located in KC and John Barnes lived in Iowa.
Any relation? Really be odd not to be you? :)
>>

Message #6128 Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:14 am
Re: re: Yank tank? (was: Re: Be A Manager Season 2 is in the books...)

Hi,
I agree, if you compare their strat cards to teams with better records,Yanks match up very well.
david

--- "textraders" wrote:
> Or they may have just had bad luck. Each year there's a team or two that vastly under or over performs
> their pythagorean record. We don't have to go to collusion as the explanation.
>

Message #6129 Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:19 am
"Beckner, Derrick" <dgb100(at)psu.edu> pokingwithstick
Re: Barnes raising (was: Re: Tabletop baseball games in the movies)

John Barnes was my high school girlfriend's dad. :)

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> Hi-ho, O... ehhh... Objection! Objection, yer honor. No sir, you did not, nor is he him. You may well,
> however, have known the *Jim* Barnes who designed the *Statis-Pro* games. Our August 2006 interview
> with *Statis-Pro* Barnes can be found here in the "Games" folder of our Files section [ StatisPro.rtf ].
> ;-)
>

Message #6130 Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 am
Re: re: What is this game?

Baseball Strategy had blue and salmon cards for one edition of the game. Simple but fun, great beginner game.

--- "ME" wrote:
> Pink and blue cards sounds like 'Pursue the Pennant', but that game didn't hit the market until later I think....
>

Message #6131 Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:48 pm
"orionkbell" <noiro(at)cox.net>
Re: re: Barnes raising (was: Re: Tabletop baseball games in the movies)

Dang, this old man here just can't remember first names anymore :( I apologize to all for my ignorance.
Although I have never met Jim Barnes, I used to talk to him quite often on the phone when he was developing
Statis Pro. He was always so very friendly and a very astute student of the game of baseball.
O

--- "butch7999" wrote:
> ... Objection! Objection, yer honor. No sir, you did not, nor is he him. You may well, however, have known
> the *Jim* Barnes who designed the *Statis-Pro* games. Our August 2006 interview with *Statis-Pro* Barnes
> can be found here in the "Games" folder of our Files section [ StatisPro.rtf ].
> ;-)
>

Message #6132 Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Re: re: Yank tank?

hey u guys:
yes, the yankees were "poor" in that they finished 10th of 10 teams, but i m trying to ascertain HOW they did it.

their offense was 3rd best in the league, as measured by OPS+, their pitching staff was 7th best in the league,
as measured by ERA+. it is not the "little things" that did them in either: their offense was the best at
NOT striking out and 4th best in NOT grounding into DPs; their pitching staff was tops in NOT hitting batters
and issuing wild pitches, and 2nd best in NOT balking. their fielding pct was in the middle of the pack; their
catchers were 3rd best in throwing out stealers. since they were 5th best in both runs allowed per game and
runs scored per game, there should be some explanation of HOW they managed to fall into 10th place in
the standings. it is obvious that they were NOT a "poor team" in hitting, pitching, or fielding, but somehow
were mismanaged to wind up way below where they should have. can luck account for that much of a drop?
curt young

--- "textraders" wrote:
>

Message #6133 Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:47 pm
"john barnes" <johnbarnes37(at)yahoo.com> johnbarnes37
Re: Barnes raising

No, I think it was Jim Barnes who developed Statis-Pro. No relation, though I do have a brother named Jim
but I don't think he has done any game designing unless he has a secret life I don't know about.
I did grow up in KC though, so we may have crossed paths.

--- "O" wrote:
> John Barnes?? I once knew a John Barnes invented Statis Pro Baseball. Are you he?
> I was a service consultant at Dun & Bradstreet located in KC and John Barnes lived in Iowa.
> Any relation? Really be odd not to be you? :)
>

Message #6134 Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:53 pm
"john barnes" <johnbarnes37(at)yahoo.com> johnbarnes37
Re: re: Barnes raising

I have a daughter in high school.
Perhaps we need to talk.

--- "Beckner, Derrick" wrote:
> John Barnes was my high school girlfriend's dad. :)
>

Message #6135 Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:28 pm
Re: Barnes raising

S'all right, O, just funnin' with ya! In fact, when John B first signed up and posted,
just for a nano-second all of us here in the front office thought Jim B was paying us a visit!

Incidentally, Jim is now, as revealed in our archived interview with him -- StatisPro.rtf in the "Games" folder
of our files section -- completely divorced from tabletop gaming and has for quite some time been totally
immersed in sports betting/handicapping. We do not encourage gambling, but for those of you curious
as to what Jim is up to, here is his website: http://www.jimbarnes.com/

B, K, & W
Baseball Games

--- "O" wrote:
<< Dang, this old man here just can't remember first names anymore :( I apologize to all for my ignorance.
Although I have never met Jim Barnes, I used to talk to him quite often on the phone when he was developing
Statis Pro. He was always so very friendly and a very astute student of the game of baseball.
>>

Message #6136 Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:07 pm
Re: re: Barnes raising

She wasn't even alive at that point!

--- "john barnes" wrote:
> I have a daughter in high school. Perhaps we need to talk.
>

Message #6137 Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 pm
Re: re: Yank tank?

'Intangibles'. <G>
Brad.

--- "curt young" wrote:
> ... yes, the yankees were "poor" in that they finished 10th of 10 teams, but i m trying to ascertain
> HOW they did it. their offense was 3rd best in the league... their pitching staff was 7th best in the league...
> it is not the "little things" that did them in either... there should be some explanation of HOW they managed
> to fall into 10th place in the standings....
>

http://baseballgames.freeforums.org/